The CARB-X 2022-2023 funding rounds have three distinct product themes:
The scope is restricted to oral products with several syndromes and causative agents possible, including:
- Stepdown for respiratory tract infections caused primarily by Gram-negative pathogens, including antibiotic-resistant strains (see Target Product Profile);
- Safe therapy for infections caused primarily by Gram-positive organisms, including antibiotic-strains (see Target Product Profile); or
- Safe therapy for urinary tract infections, including those caused by antibiotic-resistant bacteria (see Target Product Profile).
Vaccines for neonatal sepsis:
The scope is restricted to vaccines focused on the prevention of neonatal sepsis, targeting one or more of the following organisms (see Target Product Profile):
- Klebsiella pneumoniae (highest priority);
- Escherichia coli (ETEC or urinary);
- Acinetobacter baumannii; and
- Staphylococcus aureus.
While a maternal vaccine is sought, an additional commercial indication may be considered.
The scope is open to products that address Neisseria gonorrhoeae, including, for example:
- Oral therapeutics, or in special cases, IM therapeutic (see Target Product Profile);
- Low-cost vaccines (see Target Product Profile); and
- Rapid diagnostics (see Target Product Profile).
Therapeutic and vaccine products must address both drug-sensitive and drug-resistant scenarios.