2022-2023 Funding Calls
On Tuesday, October 11, 2022 the CARB-X website will have a pre-recorded video and details on how to apply for CARB-X’s 2022-2023 funding calls. The application portal will open on October 17 at 9am ET to submit materials.
Register for one of the free public webinars to discuss the scope of the funding rounds, application process, and answer questions. Same content at two different times:
- October 19, 2022 | 7PM ET | Click to register here!
- October 20, 2022 | 8AM ET | Click to register here!
The CARB-X funding rounds have three distinct product themes:
- Oral therapeutics: the scope is restricted to oral products with several syndromes and causative agents possible, including respiratory tract infections, urinary tract infections and syndromes caused primarily by Gram-positive pathogens. In all cases, activity against multidrug-resistant organisms on the WHO and CDC bacterial threat lists is essential.
- Vaccines for neonatal sepsis: the scope is restricted to vaccines focused on the prevention of neonatal sepsis, targeting several possible bacterial species, including Klebsiella pneumoniae, Escherichia coli (ETEC or urinary), Acinetobacter baumannii and Staphylococcus aureus. While a maternal vaccine is sought, it is expected that a commercial indication could be proposed.
- Gonorrhea products: the scope is open to products that address Neisseria gonorrhoeae, including, for example, oral therapeutics, low-cost vaccines and rapid, point-of-care diagnostics. Products must address both drug-sensitive and drug-resistant scenarios.
Expressions of interest (EOI) for all three themes may be submitted during the following submission windows:
- October 17 at 09:00 ET to October 31, 2022 at 23:59 ET
- January 16 at 09:00 ET to January 30, 2023 at 23:59 ET
- April 17 at 09:00 ET to May 1, 2023 at 23:59 ET
The EOI includes three sections: Organization Details, Project/Product Details, and Project Costs.
Organization Details requests details about the legal structure and size of your organization.
Project/Product Details requests details about your project/product including:
- Type of product are you developing
- Name of your project
- Pathogen(s) your project targets
- Whether your product covers isolates resistant to antibiotics from certain classes
- Primary indication/clinical indication and any secondary indications/clinical applications for your project
- Stage of development
- Intended route of administration
- For Therapeutics/ Preventatives: Modality, Chemical class, Mechanism of action, Details about the target, Target novelty
- For Diagnostics: Level of complexity, Result output, Diagnostic technology type, Sample type, Time-to-result, Sensitivity/specificity, Target average sales price
You will be asked to describe your therapeutic/preventative/diagnostic in 1000 words or less:
Your application will be judged on the merits of its scientific content; describe your science with as much data as possible. Please do provide sufficient data to allow a knowledgeable scientist to get a reasonable sense of the therapeutic/preventative/ diagnostic. Do not provide other manuscripts, references, citations or similar. Note that the form can only accept text; you may not enter tables or graphics. Do not include foundational information regarding the significance of antibiotic resistance; this is not necessary, as the reviewers understand this.
Project Costs requests details about how much funding you are requesting from CARB-X.
You will be asked to respond to the following question in 50 words or less:
Please describe where you are in your project and where you want to progress to. How much funding do you need from CARB-X to complete this scope of work (in USD)?
Target-product profiles and minimal acceptable criteria will be defined on the website.