Does your project qualify for ODA?
The UK Government’s contribution to CARB-X is designated as ‘official development assistance’ or ODA. The CARB-X application process uses the term ‘ODA’ to categorize this specific funding stream. These funds are for R&D which can demonstrate specific benefits to people living in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs). Companies with projects that are applicable or can be adapted to suit the needs of people in LMICs are welcome to apply for these funds.
Applicability can be demonstrated in a number of ways including (but not limited to)
- The method of intervention designed for use in resource-poor healthcare settings
- The choice of target pathogen which has a demonstrably high burden in LMICs
- The ability to reduce costs of the product to increase affordability for LMICs
- As well as other solutions
UK GAMRIF investment funds focus on those projects which:
1) meet with ODA eligibility requirements and
2) meet the GAMRIF scope which includes programs which can be designated as ‘alternatives to traditional antibiotics’, for example: bacteriophage, microbiome, vaccines, antibodies, potentiators (including beta-lactamase inhibitors), anti-biofilm approaches, anti-virulence approaches and other approaches exemplified in the Lancet publication by Czaplewski et al entitled ‘Alternatives to antibiotics—a pipeline portfolio review’ (if within the general CARB-X funding scope). Direct-acting small molecule and diagnostic programs are not included in the GAMRIF funding scope.
The majority of applications received by CARB-X focus on products applicable to all geographic locations, including LMICs. Applicants are encouraged to consider how to build activities and collaborations into their proposals for CARB-X funding which would support use of the product in and scientific/economic development of LMICs. An ‘ODA Justification’ document would need to be submitted with the Short Form application, once an EOI has been selected to advance. If requested, a consultation with a CARB-X ODA Consultant can be facilitated for guidance and advice. Please read carefully the information in the links below to see if your project might qualify for ODA funding.
For specific questions about ODA, please contact email@example.com